EASY SAMOSAS RECIPE! For a unique way to set your serving table or buffet try filling 1/3 of a clear cylinder vase with water. Float a rose on top of the water then top the vase with a clear plate of appetizers. Try these easy samosas.
- 2 packs frozen puff pastry or pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 4 potatoes, boiled and cubed into half-inch pieces
- 1 egg
- Store-bought Major Grey’s chutney for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set the puff pastry or pie crusts on the counter to thaw.
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until they sizzle. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the curry powder, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peas and cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes until peas are softened. Stir in potatoes and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk an egg with a pinch of salt.
- Cut the puff pastry or pie crusts into 4 rectangles. Place one rectangle on a floured surface and roll out slightly with a rolling pin. Cut into equal-size squares. Spoon about a teaspoon of the filling into the center of each square. Rub two sides with the egg mixture and fold over to form a triangle. Use a fork to score the edges. Brush a little egg on top before baking.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden, on a greased cookie tray. Serve with the chutney, if desired.