Blizzard of 2015: Preparing for Storm Juno
January 26, 2015 – Millions of people in the Northeast are bracing for Winter Storm Juno, which will become a major snowstorm today through Wednesday with the potential for blizzard conditions and more than 2 feet of snow. At least 28 million people are in the zone of potential blizzard conditions, and millions more will see enough snow to complicate travel. Are you prepared?
It’s important to gather the necessary essentials so you and your family are safe.
1. Food – make sure you are fully stocked on water and foods that don’t need refrigeration in case you lose power for an extended period of time.
2. Fireplace – if you have one, be sure to stock up on plenty of firewood, matches or butane lighters, and plenty of kindling.
3. Portable Generator – if you have a portable generator make sure you have a couple of containers of gasoline on hand.
4. Car and Snow Brush – make sure all your cars have full tanks of gas. Especially if you plan to leave your car outside. Make sure you have a brush on hand to carefully brush off snow without damaging your windows or paint.
5. Shovel, Snow Blower, and Ice Melts – make sure you have plenty of snow melt and shovels. Once the snow stops the digging begins!
6. Communication – make sure all your cell phones and iPads are fully charged. Have a couple of battery powered lanterns, radios, and flashlights. Buy plenty of batteries of different sizes. Buy a couple of candles, matches and lighters in case all the electricity runs out of your communication devices.
7. If you have pets make sure you have plenty of food, bedding material, and medicine.
8. If time permits, make sure your house is as clean as possible – vacuum wherever necessary and do all the laundry. Once you loose power you want to make sure you have plenty of clean and warm clothes.
For latest updates on Storm Juno visit The Weather Channel. Click here >>